Fur is all the rage this season and for good reason!
Not only is is fun to wear and extremely warm and cozy,
BUT fur coats are no longer for the special occasion!
Wear them with jeans, pants, skirts, leggings, dresses,
whatever the ensemble, it’s always a good reason to wear fur!
So when the stars align and I find the perfect fabric that resembles very closely to the garments I find in stores,
I have to make it!
The fabric is incredibly soft and completely irresistible!
So, for today’s DIY is real simple with no major pattern alterations like our last project, Bright Floral Evening gown.
This DIY Helmut Lang Inspired Fur Jacket is quick to whip up in less than a day!
To make this Helmut Lang Inspired Fur Jacket you will need the following:
- McCall’s pattern, M7257, I made “Jacket D”
- Fashion Yak Cream Faux Fur at Hancock Fabrics
- Lining for Jacket
- Thread to match
Like I said, faux fur is a big trend this season and that McCall’s pattern is typically sold out – so if you can find it, GET IT GIRL.
The original Helmut Lang Fur Coat slightly differs from the one I chose to make, which I like more and here’s why:
- I The longer length of Jacket D, adds to the coziness of the look and the pattern had pockets. SCORE.
- The fabric was washable: Cold Wash; Line Dry; NO HEAT. Bless you Hancock.
You have to remember I have four babies that range from 10-2, washable is required in my line of work, ha!
- I ditched the zipper detail. Have you ever caught fur in a zipper? No bueno.
Hook and eye closures work just fine.
- Affordability. More money for shoes, rent, food, entertainment!
- The Helmut Lang Fur Jacket had some leather detail that I chose to skip, without the leather,
it gave the jacket a softer looked that I enjoyed more than the original (as seen here).
- It’s a snap to make, the pattern is easy to follow and the pieces are simple!
Now you have no excuses; this jacket must go on the top of your to-do list! hehe
Spreading the word one link up party at a time, you can visit the full list: HERE.