The velvet choker has made a comeback and I’m showing you how to DIY this cool trend like we are in the 90s!
I was just a kid in the 90s and the thing I loved most about these old trends making a comeback is getting to wear them as the grownup I so desperately wanted to be back in the day!
Happy home – check.
Married my soul mate – check.
Wearing red lipstick AND ripped jeans – check.
All this goodness AND I get to wear my most coveted accessory from back in the day – the Velvet Choker. pinch me!
Now, for all my younger friends, the choker was NOT invented in the 90s, sorry to disappoint you but the trend has been around for centuries and for good reason because it’s classic. It’s always fun to find it’s comeback into the spot light by way of pearls, diamonds, gold, silver, or even this velvet ribbon.
With that said, let’s get started!!
DIY VELVET CHOKER
- Velvet Ribbon (I used a 1.5 inch ribbon I bought at my local Joann Fabrics but I could only find 3/4″ at Joann.com – sorry!)
- Ribbon End findings and clasps
- Fine Cable chain (not shown below)
- Bent nose pliers
- Measure the width of your neck with a tape measure.
- Cut velvet ribbon according to neck width.
- Fold the end of ribbon to fit your ribbon end like I did in the photo below and attach your clasp with your bent nose pliers.
- Attach the clasp to one end and 1.5″ of your fine cable to your other end with jump ring at the very end of your chain.
The chain will allow you to wear a more custom fit.
- That’s it!!
I absolutely loved how this turned out and was really excited to try it with different colored velvets AND ribbons skies the limit friends!!
Outfit details today are the following:
Laser Cut Boston Bag – Nicole Lee USA. Friends this bag is a DREAM and it comes in three colors!
In collaboration with Nicole Lee. ALL thoughts and opinions are my own.
Spreading the word one link up at a time, you can visit the full list: HERE.