Love florals for spring and summer? Sad to see that season come to an end? Never fear! Fall Florals are HUGE this season and I have you covered with an easy fall floral dress tutorial!
They say florals for spring is never original, but florals for fall feel like a rarity seeing that most of my garden is prepping for cold weather. So it’s quite exciting to see those colorful pedals on the runways due to the feeling of life it gives to a season that’s currently dying, ya know? Designers like Oscar de La Renta, Victoria Beckham, Mother of Pearl and Self Portrait are blooming this season with rich hues and mixed patterns. So it makes sense that we follow along!
To recreate this fall floral dress you will need the following:
- McCall’s Pattern, 6964, or make your own top pattern like I did (HERE),
- Pattern making paper (to make gathered skirt),
- jersey floral fabric – bonus points for mixing and matching floral motifs!
Sorry, no link for this one. I found this one at my local Goodwill.
- Supplies, sewing machine, thread, scissors, needle, etc….
- Top: Sew according to pattern instructions.
- Adjust the waist placement for your skirt as needed, higher or lower.
- Measure your hips and round up to the nearest whole number (mine is 38 inches).
- Now divide your hip measurement by 2 (19 inches for me).
- Next decide how gathered you want your skirt.
You can double or even triple the last measurement, a little gathering (x2), more gathering (x2.5), a lot of gathering (x3) and so forth. I did 2.5 for the dress above (2.5 x 19 = 47.5 inches). The new measurement is just ONE side of my skirt for the width and then decide whatever length you want!
- Then for finishing, attach your sleeve, gather skirt to fit into the bodice waistline, sew into place, and finish off all hems.
Once you are done, GO wear your dress, work that amazing floral knowing that this dress is so incredibly comfy to wear and it makes it looks like you put a lot of effort into your look. Jersey floral dresses are like the velour sweatpants of 2004 – ha!
Thanks for stopping by and have a glamorous day!
x/ r i v a
Tassel Earrings – Derek Lam Tassel Earring tutorial
Sunglasses – Women’s Cat Eye Sunglasses
Hair, beach waves – BeachWaver curling wand
WHO WHAT WEAR hat (sold out), Target
Platform Heels – Sam Edelman (sold out, but currently find similar ones from the designer, here)
Black Kiley Dome bag, Nicole Lee USA
RivaLaDiva.com occasionally receives vendor/ brand sponsorships for mentioning their products and services, however, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Spreading the word one link up at a time, you can visit the full list: HERE.