Spaghetti squash, an interesting little thing. When cooked, the flesh becomes very noodle like and can be great with pasta sauces. I had it for the first time a couple years back and liked it. I have tried to make it and it has never turned out as well and started to taste very squashy… don’t know what that’s like? Go bite a pumpkin, uncooked. Anyways, I came across an alfredo recipe with squash and thought it was genius! Made it for the fam and they thought I was genius, needless to say, it was a great night for me.
I LOVE pasta, but I don’t like that gross feeling of overstuffing my belly with the stuff. The sauce is my favorite anyways and I am trying to
diet eat healthier. However, to be honest, the only thing healthy about this is the squash, I suppose you could make it as fat free as much as possible, but that’s why I am sacrificing the pasta…. so here we go!
Prep the squash:
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Slice spaghetti squash length wise and remove seeds.
- Fill a large baking dish with 1/2 inch to 1 inch of water.
- Place spaghetti squash face down in a large baking dish and bake for 40-60 min. When squash is done, the middle will be tender and will easily pull apart.
While that’s baking and has 30 minutes left, prepare the
Easy Alfredo Sauce:
- 1 tbsp of butter, brown it
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 8oz chicken broth
- 8oz cream cheese, cubed
- Melt butter in pan, add garlic and slightly brown it.
- Add broth and cream cheese, stirring constantly until melted.
OPTIONAL: I love gouda so I added: 1 1/4 cup of smoked Gouda cheese, regular gouda is fine, too. I also added some grilled chicken.
Mixing squash and Alfredo:
- Once the squash is cooked, remove from oven.
- Evenly distribute sauce into squashes and mix with a fork, making sure to stir the squash into the sauce.
- Top with 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Return to oven for another 15 minutes. it will look similar to this:
Then mix the sauce one last time, scoop onto plates, top with chicken, and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Have any other yummy spaghetti squash recipes? Tell me about!