Welcome back to the second part of my Kate Spade look this week!
I was able to show you how to recreate the Kate Spade stripey dress,
and today we are gonna talk about the heart tote!
The heart tote really makes the whole look seem so chic, check out the original tote, here on Style.com.
The pattern I have to share with you is a fairly simple pattern, two hearts, two straps, and the wall /base section of the bag.
The heart tote is fun as a carryall for what ever your summer agenda requires!
Making the Kate Spade Inspired Heart Tote, you will need…
- The pattern. Located at the bottom of the post in 18 pieces. YEP, you read that right. 18. The tote is about 20″ x 20″ in size.
- Print those 18 pages. Careful to make sure your test box gets as close to the 2 inches recommendation as possible (it should).
- Cut out the rectangle boxes that borders around each page.
- Match all the notches together, “1a with 1a”, “2a with 2”, “3b with 3b” and etc.
- Tape together.
- The fabric and thread. I bought a yard: red vinyl and half yard (more if you want lining pockets) of red canvas fabric at JoAnn Fabrics and matching red thread.
- Wide double needle.
- There will be times where you need to press your pattern. NEVER iron directly on top of the Vinyl, it will melt.
The times I did iron, which was not many, I ONLY touched the cotton side.
- Cut your fabrics.
- Heart Lining. Using pieces #2 and #3, match right sides together at the seam line.
Notice the dotted seam line printed on pattern. Sew a 1/2″ seam. You may want to press your cotton flat at the back of the seam.
- Make the Base/Band of the purse. Matching the right sides together of your lining and vinyl for piece #4,
sew a 1/2″ seam around the band leaving an opening just wide enough for your hand to fit through approx. 4″ on one of the long sides.
- Clip corners before turning right side out.
- Pin shut.
- Make Handles using picture as a guide.
- A. Mark center on the wrong side of fabric of your handles, piece #5
- B. Fold the outside (vinyl/right side) over the wrong side to line up to the center line.
- C. Do both sides.
- D. Pin shut.
- E. With the “right side ” aka seamless side facing up, sew a straight line over the center of your handles using a double needle.
A double needle will create an even and smooth stitch line on the outside,
while securely covering the seam where the two sides meet underneath with a zig zag stitch.
See picture below of finished handles (on the finished tote),
- Pin the handles on the notch line of your heart fabric on the right side, handles facing upside down.
See picture below.
- With right side together, place the heart lining over your heart fabric and straps, so that your straps are sandwiched in between BOTH fabrics.
Sew a 1/2″ seam around the heart, leaving a small opening large enough for a hand to fit throw near the base of your heart.
Make small clips in the seam allowance around the heart including that center v at the top of your heart,
AND base of your heart to the points can easily turn right side out.
Turn right sides out and pin hand opening shut.
- Top stitch along the “heart liner top”, piece #3, about 1/8-1/4″” away from the edge.
- Next, pin the center bottom of Base/Band of the purse (piece #4) to the center bottom of the heart, the point/bottom “v”
and pin the band up along the sides of the heart. Evenly pining and matching both sides of the heart.
Lining side will face each other so the edges of the bag will look like this in the picture below.
Sewing pieces together will close those pinned openings without any added stitches.
Do to the other side of your heart.
- And your DONE!
I love you all and REALLY appreciate your support, so what better that a heart tote to show you some love!
As always, if you have any questions for this, drop me a line below!
Kate Spade Inspired Heart Tote Pattern
For personal use only, not for resale. Pattern was created by me and belongs to me.
This pattern is a similar pattern to the Kate Spade heart tote but not an exact replica.
Click and save each photo to your computer and print on home printer, US Paper. 8.5″ x 11″.
Spreading the word one link up party at a time, you can visit the full list: HERE. xo